Saturday, August 19, 2017

Picked By Jen - Two-hand Casserole Pot Holder

This Picked By Jen is from Hey Lets Make Stuff

You can find the pattern and tutorial here: The Easy-Sew Two-Handed Casserole Pot Holder.

This really is a quick and easy sew and makes a great gift. In fact this Picked By Jen came about because my husband requested some like his mom's. Since his birthday was yesterday I thought it would be the perfect time to whip it up.




The instructions are easy to follow, but definitely take the time to cut slowly. I was in a hurry and my cuts weren't exactly equal. I made my seam allowance larger to accommodate. Looking at this picture I think it's time I finally bite the bullet and get a pair of pinking shears. What do you think?




Now, because I was in a hurry I pinned just one side, stitched to the other, laid the second side layers together and stitched, only to find out I hadn't paid close enough attention to the sequence. Isn't that the way it goes? When you are in a hurry you will always end up taking out the seam ripper.  You could always twist it in the middle to have the mitts work, but I wanted to make sure I gave him something nice, since he actually asked for it.




  See the opening where you pull it all through right side out? I always back stitch each side, that way if I have to put it all back, and then pull it right side out again, the stitching stays. I can guarantee that works, because I always have to go back and fix something.



Top stitched and ready to use. They turned out great, mistakes and all, and he loved the gift. I will definitely be making this one again, but I will be making it a bit wider and the mitt part a bit longer to fit "man sized" hands.

Fun Fact in Minnesota the casserole is known as a hot dish. What do you call it? 

Happy Stitching!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments and hear your ideas. I always respond to comments (though it may take me a few days), if you haven't heard from me it might mean you are a no reply commenter. If you haven't heard back from me, check back here, because I will reply to the comment.